Library of General Linguistics and Historical-Comparative Linguistics
We also ask you to use the e-resources of the University Library, if possible. For full access outside the university network you need a VPN access, instructions here.
In urgent cases you can rent books and recording equipment. Books can be rented for up to one week, recording equipment until the next opening day of the library. Basically the following applies:
- The desired books/recording equipment must be reserved by the scheduler at least one workday in advance.
- A green seminar card must be at hand for the rental of books/recording devices.
- Wearing a mouth and nose protection is mandatory when entering our library.
The time arrangements must be kept under all circumstances to avoid unnecessary personal contact! If something should come up at short notice, please let us know by phone or e-mail. Without prior arrangement or outside the agreed time window, it is no longer possible to enter the library!
If you have any further questions, please contact our support staff by phone at 0221 / 470 61 51 or by e-mail at ifl-bib[at]uni-koeln.de.
Further information regarding the Covid-19 pandemic can be found on the central page of the Rectorate.
The joint library of the departments of General Linguistics (GL) and Historical-Comparative Linguistics (HCL) is a reference library. It is possible for students of the institute to borrow books over the weekend. The library regulations (German) apply (the library regulations are currently being revised. At the moment deviations from the actual handling are possible).
Online research is made possible by the online presence of the Kölner Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek (UB). Using the search function there, the university-wide literature holdings can be searched. If you only want to search within the library of the GL and HCL, you can filter the search by location (Department of Linguistics).
- our literature stock is only accessible there by English keywords.
- Individual languages are keyworded with "language" (e.g. Turkish language), language families with "languages" (e.g. Bantu languages).
- Individual journal articles or contributions to anthologies which are not available as electronic resources are usually not accessible via the UB catalogue. To search for journals, select the item journal catalogues (no articles) in the advanced search or filter your search results on the left side by media type.
Students of the Department of Linguistics have the possibility to borrow recording devices or microphones during some seminars. For this purpose, early registration (at least one to two days) at geraeteverleih-ifl(at)uni-koeln.de and a valid seminar card upon collection is necessary.
The equipment can be rented for one day or over the weekend. Exceptions are possible by arrangement.